Friday, September 18, 2009

This Is How We Do It (Alternative Version)

One of the things I face daily as an immuno suppressed person is fighting off disease. I don't know how the rest of you feel about a bunch of kids baptizing a playground with their various drips but it makes me want to wear a bio hazard suit. One of my little cousins gave me a cold and so it has required me to go into militar mode. Call me a germaphobe, paranoid, Howard Hughes esque, but years of experience/hospitalizations have taught me that microbes are smarter than I am.

So here are my new Ten Commandments of Immunosuppresion Abroad

1. Thou Shalt wear masks on any/all public transportation
2. Thou Shalt stay away from all sick people and their bathrooms
3. Thou Shalt take a taxi when sick/in arthritic flare and not complain about the money
4. Thou Shalt placate a mother of a gooey child with compliments from afar instead
5. Thou Shalt carry hand sanitizer
6. Thou Shalt go to Tio Kansas City for RX
7. Thou Shalt budget for medicine more than Diet Coke
8. Thou Shalt sleep, even though thou is young and wants to do everything everyone else dos
9. Thou Shalt eat
10. Thou Shalt ask for help walking/carrying things, even when it kills thou to


Please feel free to add your own commandments

3 comments:

  1. don't worry about #10, the rabbit is more than pleased to carry your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do say hi to Tio Kansas City for me...too maaach, too maaach. I'm going to adapt your list of ten commandments for teaching snot-nosed children while on Enbrel.

    Your blog cracks me up and leaves me inspired to start my own about teaching with arthritis. It could be entertaining. Wonder what the legalities are on discussing my students if I don't use names?

    ReplyDelete